Cups and Glasses

Elyna tries to avoid returning to Burhan

Cups and Glasses

62 Frost
XX Age of Kings

Caelin and Pavoo had been eager to depart the next morning. Elyna had shared their breakfast, quiet and uncertain as to how she would delay their journey back to Burhan. We owe that much too each other…that’s what Malcolm had said. He had intimated that perhaps he too wished for the chance to talk without the ears and eyes of over a hundred others surrounding them. Although part of her dreaded that conversation, Elyna knew that it needed to take place. It wasn’t good to allow things to fester, not when they had been so close and things had become so confused.

There was no sign of Edmund and the carriages were due to depart. Elyna had watched from the window as many of the noble family’s made their descent down through Mayce in the snow. Her fingers traced lines on the glass as she looked out on a frosty morning. Mayce itself was busy, even with a late night many of the population were up and working hard to improve their living conditions. She could hear a blacksmiths anvil in the distance and the occasional, tinnier sounds of a hammer and nails.

Was she hoping Malcolm would attend their breakfast? Or perhaps he would visit the tavern before they had to leave? As Caelin grew more and more agitated behind her, it seemed less and less likely. Edmund seemed to stumble into the room.

‘Edmund!’ Caelin stared at her son, ‘are you quite all right? You look as though you should be in bed?!’

Edmund was pale, skin waxy and sweat forming on his brow. He stumbled into the room and dropped into one of the chairs.

‘I fear you are right, Mother,’ he groaned and reached for glass of water that had been left on the side.

Pavoo and Elyna glanced at one another.

‘I’m in no state to travel,’ Edmund pressed a hand to his temple, laying back to the point of almost slipping off the seat.

‘Oh Edmund,’ Caelin cooed as she sat down beside him, patting his hand, ‘it’s almost as if you never changed from your clothes last night. You must have been taken ill so suddenly.’ She looked to her husband. ‘We must fetch a doctor!’

‘Hmm,’ Pavoo winked to his daughter before approaching his son. He took the time to examine Edmund, ‘I think he just needs to rest Caelin.’

‘Mmmm,’ Edmund agreed and put his head in his hands.

‘Some more sleep will do you the world of good I expect,’ Pavoo held back his grin.

‘But we’re due to travel!’ Caelin was on her feet.

‘I’ll stay with Edmund,’ Elyna clasped her hands behind her back.

‘You would?’ Caelin stared at her daughter.

‘Excellent idea,’ Pavoo looked at the clock above the fireplace, ‘We can have Elynas bags removed from the carriage, Edmund hadn’t packed yet anyway and she can help restore her brother to health.’

‘Yes Father.’ Elyna nodded, was this her chance?

‘But when will you follow us? The snow might trap her here if you don’t leave today.’

‘We will follow tomorrow if we can,’ Elyna promised.

‘That is agreeable to me,’ Pavoo strode to the window and peered out at the thick white clouds. ‘Besides, I very much doubt it will snow for a few days at least. They’ll have plenty of time to come down the mountain.’

Caelin smoothed her hand through her sons hair before taking reluctantly to her feet.

‘I’ll look after him,’ Elyna promised as Edmund merely curled up, as though to slew on the chair itself.

‘Yes…’ Caelin nodded, ‘well, we will see you in a day or so. No doubt you two can catch us easily enough.’

Elyna nodded, and hugged her father before the Baron and his wife made their way out of the tavern.

It was only after the bags had been returned to her room and the Burhan carriage and guards had set off down the road, that Elyna turned to her brother and smacked him across the shoulder.

‘Your hungover!’ She accused, laughing.

‘Father knew too,’ Edmund opened one eye to peer at his sister. He grinned and curled up on the sofa, ‘now treat me nicely, you promised mother.

Elyna shook her head, Caelin was so blind when it came to her perfect son. Still, what she couldn’t work out, was how Edmund who had returned to the tavern with them, had managed to get drink so much more before the morning. Had he snuck back to the party?

Cups and Glasses

“Don’t look at me that way.” Edmund accused. He kicked his legs up onto the end of the sofa and crossed one over the other to get comfortable. “I’ve seen you fool our mother with such ease as I. I’ll take care of Edmund.” He teased in a tone not too dissimilar from her own, if a little high pitched.

Edmund lay there all of a minute as he stared out the window before he frowned and sat up. “If only the weather were not so miserable, I would suggest a tree walk.” He didn’t care to mention which direction he imagined the walk would take them. This, after all, was the first time he had visited the region of Mayce. “You missed a lot of fun last night. Owen invited me to stay at the keep. We all stayed up playing games and drinking until sun up. Even the duke hung about with us for a bit before he and the baron left. Have you ever met Jared Warrick? I should introduce you. Both of them are extremely good at that strategy game father likes, oh, but I’ve forgotten the name of it… King and Court!” Edmund snapped his fingers together. “That’s the one.”

On his feet, he drifted towards the bedroom and held himself up as he leaned back against the doorframe. “I’m going to get some sleep. I’ve been invited to dinner tonight. I said it was highly likely you would be joining me. Consider it?” He waved and retired to his bed then, the door clicked closed behind him under the force of a swift foot.

Later at dinner that night it was clear to see most of the nobles had shared Caelin’s concern about the weather and chose to risk a trip down the mountain before the snow worsened, this reflected in the lack of familiar faces at the table. Edmund was dressed to impress, though it seemed the woman he had hoped to please was nowhere to be seen. “Penelope?” He inquired.

“Left with her mother this morning,” Owen replied.

“Just my luck.”

Owen smiled. “You look…” He glanced at Elyna and chose not to continue, but instead paid the compliment to her, “very fetching, my lady.” There was no eye contact following his words, hands busy with a drink he then stared at.

Edmund scoffed. “Your hair is a mess, sister. I suppose you were out in the weather all day!”

Malcolm made his appearance then, followed closely by his shadow, the baron. He allowed himself a subtle smile at the sight of Elyna, then acknowledged the rest of their company, Benjamin, Owen and Edmund with a fine grin. “I’m pleased to see you are all recovered,” he said in jest. There was something rather tired about the manner in which he spoke, yet the duke himself appeared well rested and handsomely dressed in layers of black.

Benjamin slumped back in his chair as if to mock the observation. “Just,” he said, “nothing a nice meal won’t cure.”

“You’ve come to the right place then,” Malcolm told him as two of the servants started dishing up a piping hot steak and kidney pie.

Benjamin screwed his face up at the piece of kidney on the end of his fork and chased it around the plate for a spell before gathering up a helping of green beans instead.

“Wine.” Jared said to one of the servants in passing and she made haste to fetch him a glass. He was yet to acknowledge anyone and appeared to be in a bit of a foul mood.

“Rather brave of the two of you to stay,” Benjamin remarked, glancing across at Edmund and his sister. “You’ll be snowed in for the rest of the season if you aren’t careful.”

“At least there will be rooms available in the keep now that the rest of the nobles have left,” Owen said.

There was a short lull in conversation before Malcolm piped up. “Of course, you’re both more than welcome to stay. Please make yourselves at home.”

“That’s kind of you, thank you,” Edmund said, “but I’m sure we won’t be here long enough to intrude.” He looked at Elyna then. “Mother wouldn’t approve.”

“Do you plan to stay long, Jared?” Owen asked.

Jared didn’t right away look up from his meal, choosing to finish the mouthful he had been chewing and even taking another sip of the wine before he replied. “Tomorrow.” Jared went straight back to his meal after that.

Malcolm and Owen shared a brief look before the duke reached out to touch his friend’s forearm. Malcolm went back to eating a moment later, but not before asking what the pair had been doing throughout the day.

“I slept,” Edmund said, laughing.

Owen smirked. “So round two tonight then?”

“No, no more drinking for me,” Edmund said. “Especially if I’m to ride down the mountainside tomorrow.”

Cups and Glasses

Edmund barely gave her time to reply before vanishing into his bedroom. Elyna remained standing where she was for a moment, then relieved that he really was alright, grinned at his audacity before setting off for her day.

Arriving at the Keep with Edmund, Elyna found herself, as usual, in awe of the beautiful building. There was something romantic about Mayce in it’s wildness. She surrendered her cloak to one of the staff with a shy smile before joining Edmund. Her bags had been packed with a variety of clothes, so she had chosen something comfortable. A forest green dress with long sleeves that fell over her hands. The soft fabric skimmed close to her body and circled by a long belt that sat upon her hips before falling beyond her knees. Brown and gold embroidery circled the sweetheart neckline, matching the pattern stamped onto the belt. After a long day, there had been little time to dress her hair. At least she had managed a bath. The long, dark strands had been left down, untamed and curling down her back.

She peered at the near empty hall with mild surprise, not quite allowing herself to feel pleased. In many ways it was a shame that so many nobles had departed so quickly, but it was hard to be disappointed when left in the company of Owen, Ben and her brother. Or rather…it usually would have been.

Owen struggled to meet her gaze and Elyna found herself staring at him. Wondering how she could ease things with the man, or if he might even want that? She glanced at Edmund but held back her retort.

Her gaze lifted to the Duke and Baron as they arrived and she dipped into a curtesy. It was always hard to look away from Malcolm but as everyone settled to their meals, she couldn’t help but notice that Warrick was unlike his usual self.

Elyna reached for her own wine, taking nervous sips, inspired by the large man’s mood. She ducked her head, cutting open her own slice of pie. Something about Warrick made her feel like a naughty child at the dinner table. It was better to eat and run, rather than linger. Though the others seemed less afflicted.

Stay? Elyna looked up with a frown and looked between Edmund, Owen and then Malcolm. That had been the offer, hadn't it? She wet dry lips and took another drink. What would happen if she stayed in the same room as last time? Her memory returned her to the bed, cool fur beneath her bare body. The duke, bent towards her, his mouth hovering above her own in the dark. She coughed, the wine catching on the back of her throat. Elyna turned away from table, covering her mouth as she recovered and forced herself to look back. ‘Apologies,’ her voice was hoarse and she was certain her sins were written on her face. She forced a smile, but couldn’t look at Malcolm.

‘Thank you for such a kind offer,‘ she managed, ‘although as Edmund is suitably recovered we should depart tomorrow.’

Would this be her last chance to speak with Malcolm? Her heart seemed to skip as she looked up and for the briefest moment found that her gaze met his. Her gaze slipped down his arm to that hand resting on Jared.

Yvan, the word sounded in her mind without warning and she startled. Elyna took another drink and tried to shake the word away. What had he said?

‘Today?’ What has they been talking about? She scrambled to return to the conversation.

‘Oh…’ she exhaled and glanced to Malcolm again, ‘I sent a note to you, your Grace and hope that I did not overstep any bounds,’ she ran a nervous hand through the ends of her hair. It was hard to be anything other than formal amongst the others. Especially as Owen clearly didn’t consider them to be friends. ‘I worked among the village,’ she hesitated. There had been no reply to her note so she had forged ahead hoping that all assistance could be accepted.

‘They were struggling to find some able to repair the barn roof,’ she admitted, ‘I’m lighter than most and it’s not the first time I’ve needed to use hammer and nails,’ she shrugged a little. It had been hard work. Her muscles had been stiff and aching, eased somewhat by a hot bath.

Still, this could be a chance to repair some of the damage to her friendships. Even if she was tired.

‘Owen, if you wanted to play King and Court or Cards later, I would be a willing companion?’ She raised a glass to the man, hopeful. Far more hopeful than she should have been.

Cups and Glasses

Edmund looked as if he were experiencing secondhand embarrassment on Elyna’s behalf. Did she hear herself, he wondered, hand masking one side of his face. The things she described were not activities fit for a lady, and since when had she been comfortable enough to send the duke notes? Edmund had always imagined his sister taking an easy role amongst the Iron Hand as part of the Skyriders, but now he wondered if there was something more to it. He found it no surprise that their mother planned to put a stop to all of it now that her name had been discovered and people were starting to talk. She suggested a game of cards as casually as if she were one of the boys.

“Yes,” Edmund said quite abruptly, “I am quite recovered.”

“A shame,” Owen replied. “We’ll just have to try harder tonight.”

Benjamin laughed at that, but he was the only one. Edmund just smiled and gave his friend a look. A small part of him wanted to stay, but he was not sure their mother would take too kindly to such an arrangement, especially as he had heard talk of her lining up suitors for Elyna to meet. Frost was such a drab season in Burhan. Mayce, at the very least, was a change of scenery.

If Owenhad heard Elyna’s offer of a game, he had made no attempt to acknowledge it, which caught the duke’s attention. Malcolm looked down the length of the table at his brother until the man met his eye, almost as if he sensed Malcolm was watching him. A soft knot formed at the centre of the duke’s brow and seconds later, Owen found his voice again.

“A game of cards sounds nice. Perhaps we could all play?”

“Actually,” Malcolm interrupted the suggestion, “I would appreciate a moment of your time before then, lady Burhan.”

Jared stood up all of the sudden and excused himself before making his way from the dining room. Malcolm twisted to watch him go and seconds later, followed suit. “Excuse me,” he said with every intention to return.

The abandoned dinners went cold and were cleared along with the rest of the plates once the meal was done. Benjamin suggested they retire to the library for some wine and cards and no one made mention of the duke or baron until Edmund spoke up. He was holding a terrible hand of cards and chose distraction over bluff.

“Is something the matter with Jared? He does not seem himself tonight.”

Owen arranged his cards with care by suit, rank and colour. He didn’t take his eyes off of them, even as he responded. “Not sure, those two have been out all day.”

“He’s a very peculiar man,” Benjamin said.

“Whatever do you mean by that, dear brother?” Owen asked.

“We’ve known him most of our lives, and can you really say you know anything about him?” Benjamin remarked.

Owen chuckled. “I suppose we all have our close friends,” he said, “he just trusts Malcolm more than most.”

Benjamin threw a couple of coins onto the centre of the table in lieu of reply.

“You seem confident!” Edmund remarked.

“I’ve got a good hand.” Benjamin smiled across at him.

Edmund, not knowing Ben as well as he knew Owen, attempted to read the man with a look. Rather than lose money, however, he decided to fold.

“Out already?” Owen asked.

“Bawk bawk bawk!” Benjamin laughed.

Owen met the bet and then raised it. Benjamin eyed his brother. He threw his cards down on the table and took up Edmund’s. “yours were better than mine.” He smirked.

Owen, still not taking his eyes off his cards, waited for Elyna to make her bets. It was then Malcolm entered the room and made his apologies for having taken so long away from their company.

“Join us for a game?” Benjamin offered.

“No, no. I won’t intrude,” Malcolm said. “I’ve got a pot of tea with my name on it.”

Owen scoffed, as if the idea of it being too late for wine and cards was an insult to him.

“Would you care for a cup?” Malcolm asked Elyna by way of making excuses for them. His hair looked a little disheveled and there was a small red mark on the crest of his left cheekbone. “I’ll be in the sitting room.”

Owen rubbed his hands together, sure that meant he was to take the first of the winnings tonight. He topped up his wine glass and that of his brother’s before offering the bottle to Edmund.

“Long day?” Benjamin said as Malcolm made a move to leave.

“Long day,” Malcolm echoed in agreement and took his leave of the room.

Edmund elbowed his sister lightly, torn between accompanying her and staying behind to play out a few more rounds of the game. “I’ll see you back at the tavern?” He asked.

Cups and Glasses

People often thought that Elyna was distant, or perhaps a bit slow when it came to social situations as she wasn’t usually the one to reply with a witty comeback or to open an entertaining conversation. Whatever formal social cues there were, she seemed to miss them. For those that knew the woman well enough to know she was friendly and sometimes even funny would recognise the difference in when she felt at ease and when she did not.

There was a tension that thickened the air and Elyna found herself striped of her usual allies. Owen had been hurt by her leaving Renmere and lack of contact, as had Malcolm. Where she had foolishly expected some compassion she’d found rejection. Edmund had changed, he’d been the one who had always encouraged her to persue her dreams yet he seemed to have aligned his own thoughts with their mother following his engagement to the epitome of a noble woman. Penelope, Elyna realised must throw her again into stark contrast. Even the existence of the beautiful Andaris was enough to highlight her own flaws.

The noble woman was not ignorant of the small movements and subtleties around her. Instead she was perhaps too sensitive to them. Over years she had developed a mask to hide behind, yet had never considered wearing it in the current company. She had been wrong to feel comfortable, and that hurt. It also made it harder to slide behind that mask.

Elyna ate in silence, concentrating on not making a mess, or embarrassing Edmund further. She had been considering telling Ed about Yvan and confiding her broken heart…but now? She had the strongest feeling that he wouldn’t understand.

She watched as Jared then Malcolm left. What had Yvan said? That the two men were too close? She frowned, trying to remember his exact words. There had been a brief time when those words had made her think…that Malcolm’s preference was men. After all, he had avoided any contact with her. Those thoughts had long been extinguished. But now?

Her dinner was abandoned and she followed the men to the library. She surveyed her cards, looking up at Ben as he spoke. She smiled at the man. Of everyone he didn’t seem to feel their relationship had changed in her absence.

Some of the tension had been abandoned to the dining room. But she slid back in her chair as though she could hide. She scanned her cards without seeing them. Thoughts scrambling for a way to leave. Preferably before Malcolm returned. Any faint hope she had held, felt as though it had been snuffed out like a candle in a snowstorm.

But return he did. Her gaze moved slowly over his appearance, taking in the disheveled hair and touch to his cheek. A fight with Jared? Or something else?

Her cards folded with a whisper in her hand and Elyna excused herself. ‘Yes, Edmund. Some tea, and I’ll return to our rooms. I’ll see you in the morning?’

Whatever Malcolm wanted to say, she doubted it would take long. It was kind of the man to grant her an audience at all. It wasn’t nessecary. She was certain that before Edmund had even finished his drink, she would be back at the tavern. The idea of returning to cards didn’t occur to her, as it seemed she was less than welcome.

Elyna followed the duke, fingers curled around the rich velvet of her skirts. The shadows flickered around her as she entered the sitting room. She studied the floor beneath her slippers.

‘I hope that I didn’t overstep in helping out in the village,’ she apologised. ‘They didn’t know who I was, there should be little embarrassment for you or Edmund I hope.’ Elyna shifted her weight, shoulders pulled forward. ‘You’ve achieved so much this year, it’s really remarkable, really very beautiful here.’

Did he still wear her token? Part of her couldn’t bare to look. Did it even mean anything if he did? Or as she had reasoned yesterday, perhaps he wore it as a reminder of the freedom he had once allowed himself to indulge passion rather than duty.

Cups and Glasses

“Why are you so hard on your sister?” Benjamin asked once the pair had left the room, leaving the three of them to play cards in peace. He pushed his bet to the centre of the table, not as ambitious as his last, and held his cards close to his chest.

Edmund wasn’t sure how to answer that. He and Elyna had always been so close, a united force against the well oiled machine that was their mother. What had changed? Had too much time passed since he had last seen her? Had they both matured since their teen years? Penelope certainly had high standards and made those clear, as did Caelin. Edmund, however, could not put his finger on it. People had always talked in their circle, but now they were talking about Elyna and he did not like the unwanted attention it brought with it.

“Jared mentioned last night that Elyna had assaulted Uri Endor?”

“I very much doubt that!” Owen piped up, sounding rather protective, almost as if he had forgotten he was mad at the woman for a spell.

Benjamin squinted. “I agree, that is a strange claim for Uri to make, given the way he was following her about the dance floor like a lost puppy.”

“Begging for a treat.” Owen spat.

“A dangerous claim,” Edmund said. “What if word gets out?”

“Jared wouldn’t repeat anything,” Owen said, “we know that much.”

“I don’t remember her getting into so much trouble when we were younger,” Edmund remarked. “Then again she always tended to avoid these sorts of things. Is she beautiful… My sister?” He asked, not sure he was fit to judge.

“Married,” Ben said, wagging a finger at them to show off his gold ring.

“She’s… she’s Elyna,” Owen said.

“Whatever is that meant to mean?” Edmund challenged.

“I don’t know,” he said and shrugged. “She’s pleasant to look at, I suppose, but…” Owen tried to explain before Benjamin interjected.

“She’s one of the crew,” Ben said.

“Exactly. She’s almost like a sister,” Owen added, “as are all the women in our crew… Katelyn… Olivia. They are all like family.”

Edmund reorganised his cards as if working out a better pairing. “She’s the girl next door.”

Benjamin laughed. “If you want to put it that way.”

“I guess it can’t be easy for her, juggling the two,” Edmund said.

“Two what?” Owen asked.

“The two lives she’s trying to lead… that of a skyrider and the daughter of a nobleman.”

“She certainly prefers the first…” Owen uttered.

“That’s the problem,” Edmund said. “She knew that would only ever be short term… even I am expected to give it up by the time I become captain, which is only a few years away, if the region of Burhan does not dictate that I help govern sooner than planned. For Elyna… it was never to be long term. She knows that. And now she’s all tied up with that disgraced captain… What was his name, Yilmaz?”

“As are we,” Benjamin admitted.

“You didn’t chase him to Nejem,” Edmund said.

Owen made a face. Benjamin too was quiet.

Edmund studied them both. “Why do I get the feeling there’s something you aren’t telling me…”

Benjamin frowned. “Well…”

The sitting room was a lot warmer than the library, with a lot less area to heat. The sofas were made up of a cream fabric that had been embroidered with different types of flowers and floral designs. A white wolf pelt covered the majority of one, which appeared inviting and warm. It was one of the two brown, leather chairs nearest the fireplace that Malcolm took up, however. He had poured a cup of tea for them each before sitting down, legs crossed at the ankles. He shifted uncomfortably, uncrossing them as Elyna spoke. Why did she think her actions would cause him any embarrassment? He looked confused by that, a puzzled look captured his features for a second before they were set to neutral again.

“I’m glad for your help,” he insisted, leaning forward to take one of her hands between his own. He met her gaze and smiled. “It’s a shame our paths did not cross today. I was working out in the fields helping some of the farmers mend a wall.”

Malcolm leaned back reluctant, it seemed, as he let Elyna’s fingers graze his while they fell away. He set one hand on the arm of the chair, a finger tracing one of the many cracks in the leather. His other hand came to rest against the saucer of his cup of tea. He lifted it to his lap and balanced it there with care. There followed a short silence before he spoke again or, at least, it seemed he wanted to, sat with mouth ajar. What did he want to say, he thought to himself. There was so much he had imagined telling her… The simplest thing to tell her was the truth, yet it hung on his tongue, unwilling.

I still want to marry you, he thought, looking across at her. How was it she looked even more beautiful than she had a year ago? How could he wish that for them again when everyone else, including her parents, was so against it? Elyna had enjoyed her time in Nejem. She liked to travel. She made him feel like such a shut in. Malcolm avoided travel at all costs. At first he had believed it was his boys that kept him from ever wanting to go too far, but having spent the majority of the year in Mayce, he had come to realise that he simply loved Renmere and had no desire to see what lay beyond. Malcolm had roots here and did not plan to do anything that might slow down the good work he had already accomplished. It would be selfish, he reminded himself, to ask for her hand again.

“Did you enjoy the dance?” He asked and felt so stupid for it. Honestly, was that the best he could come up with? Might he bore her to death before she made her way back to the tavern. Maybe he should have stayed to play cards…

Cups and Glasses

How was it possible for the two to feel two ways at once? The warmth and coziness from the fireplace was a lure. The soft furnishings begging for her to sit and be at ease. The softer light could have been romantic, intimate even. Yet Elyna felt removed from the pleasantness of the arrangement. Her limbs felt as though they’d been carved from wood. Stiff and unyielding.

Her face felt hot from the fire, as though it burnt from the flickering flames. Elyna followed Malcolm, as seemed to be her way. He caught her hand and sparks raced up her fingertips, across her palm and then threaded up her wrist and arm. Captured by his touch she couldn’t look away.

His thanks were rewarded by a brief smile as she took her seat. ‘Then I regret that our paths did not cross.’ He must know how wonderful the region was, even in the snow. Elyna had been awed by the sheer effort that had gone into developing the landscape. How to tell him that though?

Was that really why he wanted to speak? She knew that Mayce wasn’t the subject that rose to her thoughts. There seemed so many things unsaid, so many misunderstandings that had passed between them. Malcolm seemed at a loss for words, something she had never witnessed before.

Elyna busied her nervous hands with stirring a little honey into her tea.

He broke the silence and she looked up.

‘I…’ she searched for the right thing to say. She hated dances, but finding Malcolm hadn’t married Penelope had lifted the weight of a mountain from her shoulders. Why though did it feel as though it was settling back on her, one boulder at a time. ‘I enjoyed it far more than I imagined possible,’ she admitted with another small smile. Then she remembered Uri and grimaced, ‘well, most of it.’

Elyna took a deep breath and found herself staring into her cup. Is that what Malcolm had wanted to discuss? She couldn’t see the favour around his neck and felt another weight settle on her shoulders. She needed to run, she hadn’t considered that he still had the power to hurt her, but he did. If he had no interest as she had foolishly allowed herself to hope…then…then it would be better to escape before the final blows fell.

She sipped her tea and set it aside, ‘what was in the letters?’ She asked quietly, ‘the letters I never received…’

Cups and Glasses

The fact that Elyna had enjoyed the dance came as a small comfort to the duke, an expensive night that had not been wasted. When he studied her face, however, Malcolm found that Elyna’s features did not seem to echo her words, instead replaced by something else, though he could not decide if it was fear or just a general discomfort for sharing the shape with him. His heart sank a little at the thought and he leaned back in his chair, defeated by the notion and the lack of warmth he felt in her presence, even sat as close to the fire as they were.

“The letters…” Malcolm echoed and tried to cast his mind back. What to say without saying too much? The letters. The words circled in his mind, were they what she wanted to discuss. What closure would it bring? What had he imagined for this meeting?

“Right. The letters,” Malcolm said. He scrubbed the right side of his neck with bent fingers, tracing a small red mark that resembled rope burn. It was true that he was no longer wearing her necklace tonight, though it had been there at dinner. The collar of his shirt was wrinkled and Malcolm had not yet noticed that the top button had gone astray.

“Well I suppose the first detailed my trip to Burhan,” and my delight at escaping an arranged marriage, he thought. “I wrote about how very troubling it was to realise I no longer had your father’s blessing, but hoped that might change after a lengthy engagement… once he saw I was committed,” Malcolm explained. “By the fourth letter,” he said watching her, “well I can admit now that I was not proud of my own confessed disappointment at being ignored by you.” He thought it better to be honest, in case the letters turned up at the farmstead she kept. “Even if my feelings had never cha—.”

Malcolm paused mid sentence as Edmund entered the room, closely followed by Owen. “Elyna!” Edmund bellowed, “I need a word!”

Owen seemed to shuffle from foot to foot nervously, something easily recognised by the duke from where he sat. Malcolm rose to his feet, “then the room is yours,” he said.

“Thank you, your grace, but I think it best that my sister and I return to the tavern.”

Malcolm glanced at Elyna. Was it crazy to think she might not be safe with her own brother and the temper he had demonstrated in bursting into the room like he had? “Then I will send a guard to escort you back.”

Edmund said nothing, his hand balled at his hip. He wanted to leave right now and have it out with her. Did the duke know, he wondered, or had the observations of Benjamin remained that of a lone knight? Owen had given nothing away, but remained ill at ease. He had not confirmed his brother’s words with anything but silence, which in itself seemed damning.

“I can go,” Owen offered.

“No,” Malcolm snapped, sure he could get the truth of the matter from the man, “you will stay right here.”

Cups and Glasses

Elyna wondered if Malcolm seemed distracted. He scratched the side of his neck, confirming that he no longer wore her token. Her gaze drifted to the opening in his shirt and her breath caught. How was it that he could be even more attractive? Her mouth felt dry and so she took a drink of tea. She knew what it was like to be intimate with the man, so surely any allure should have faded. But in Malcolm’s case, she felt the pull towards him even stronger than before.

Setting her drink down she twisted her hands, nervously waiting as he gathered his thoughts together. He had been disappointed? Elyna let out a slow breath, it was hard to read between the lines of what he was saying, and dangerous to do so.

She lent forward as he mentioned her father, brows drawn in confusion. That wasn’t what Pavoo had said the night before. Her father had renewed his blessing. Had Pavoo changed his mind whilst she had been abroad? Elyna tucked long strands of hair behind her ear.

Committed? It hurt to breathe, as though her lungs were filled with the ice from outside. Elyna reached out towards the man. What was he saying? His feelings had never changed? What feelings? Her hand closed over his own as she met his gaze. Was it possible that he had wanted their engagement to continue? That’s what he was saying, wasn’t it?

There was no time for him to finish, nor for Elyna to reply. Edmund burst into the room, startling her. Elyna pulled her hand back as he shouted. Slowly, the woman found her feet, smoothing her skirts with a slow motion. She tried to calm her racing heart beat. Stood beside Malcolm, she returned his uneasy glance as Edmund suggested they leave.

She chewed on her bottom lip, wondering what had so suddenly bought her usually amiable brother to anger. ‘I…’ she struggled for something to say before swallowing her nerves. But before she could answer Edmund had advanced, pointing at her with barely contained anger.

‘In our fathers absence, I command you to come with me Elyna!’

‘Ed,’ It took her a few steps around the table before she found face to face with her brother, ‘I think you should calm down,’ she swallowed her nerves with a glance to Malcolm and Owen. ‘You don’t have authority over me Edmund…’

‘We’ll see about that.’

Ed turned away from her, striding towards the main door that would lead to the hallway. He slammed it shut and spun back to the group. Blocking off her escape to the hallway. It seemed whatever he had to say, couldn’t even wait until they were away from their audience.

‘Tell me it’s not true!’ Edmund advanced back towards her. ‘Tell me you weren’t sleeping with him?!’

Elyna scanned the features that were so similar to her own. The blood had drained from her body, seeming to pool in her feet. Left dizzy and nauseous, she didn’t dare move, or answer. Did he mean Malcolm? How had he found out? No one had known about that except — what if Malcolm had told someone? She didn’t dare look back at the Duke for fear of giving them away.

‘Ed?’ She breathed, nervous. Her heart was skipping in uneven beats in her chest.

‘Tell me you were not involved with Yilmaz!’

Elyna pressed her lips together, holding her tongue as she forced herself to meet his warm brown gaze. Lit with flecks of amber in his anger and disbelief.

‘If -‘ she felt her cheeks burning with embarrassment, far to aware of who was listening in to what should have been a private conversation. ‘If I were to admit to such a thing,’ she struggled to keep her voice calm and it wavered, ‘who would you be to judge me? The man who makes his friends by whoring through the city.’ The double standard had not been lost on Elyna.

Edmund seemed to growl beneath his breath, ‘what did it take for him to prise apart your dimpled knees, sister?’ He reached for her shoulder, grabbing at the cloth. Only for it to skip through his fingers as she stepped aside.

It was impossible to hide the hurt on her features so Elyna circled away from the inhabitants of the room. Keeping to the shadows. She wanted to run. This was what she had imagined Edmunds reaction to be in her nightmares, but somehow even worse. He stood between her and the door, and the only other exit was past Owen and Malcolm.

‘You’re supposed to be an innocent! How is she going to marry you off now?! No one will want you,’ he glanced at Malcolm then, wondering once more if the man appreciated the true devaluation of his sister. It wasn’t a true reflection of how Edmund felt about Elyna but the news had stirred an anger borne of guilt. Was it his fault she had fallen so far? Edmund had meant to meet her when she arrived at the city, instead he had chosen to attend a series of parties in Venora. What if he could have stopped Yvan taking advantage of his then teenaged sister?

Shamed so publicly, Elyna wanted more than ever for the floor to swallow her up. Well, he had asked hadn't he? No one else ever had, except Owen. She drew a short breath and looked across at Edmund, ‘you have no right to talk to me like this-.’ she swallowed her pride. Some part of Yvan had loved her, she knew that. Certainly there had been a time where she had allowed herself to love the Butcher. There had been little time for Malcolm or Owen to intervene, the argument happening so quickly.

‘Is that why you followed him across the sea?’ Edmund was disbelieving, shaking his head.

‘I didn’t follow him,’ tears filled her eyes and Elyna looked at the ceiling.

‘But you shared his bed?!’

‘I hate that man!’ Elyna snapped, she’d been cornered and enough was enough. Unable to look at anyone else in the room Elyna fixed her gaze on her brother, ‘please understand that I hate Yvan Yilmaz more than anyone can truly appreciate…if I have the option to never share a country with him again I would take it!’ Her hands had curled into fists. Taken aback, Edmund finally moved away from her route to the door.

Elyna glanced around the room then, her gaze fixing on the Duke. ‘If I had received any word from you…I would have returned home.’ Her gaze shifted to Owen then before back to Malcolm.

‘If I’d had any word that you had not married Lady Andaris…I would have ridden or flown or walked to you without a second thought.’ Her mouth set into a soft, downturned line before she shook her head once more. ‘It seems that fate determined that I arrive too late,’ her gaze finally dropped to the man’s bare collar and the missing token of her affection.

‘If you will excuse me,’ her voice had deserted her, leaving the words a small plea. Taking the opportunity to reach the door Elyna turned on her heel and left. Without looking back she strode out beyond the hallway and into the heavy snowfall beyond the door.

Cups and Glasses

As Elyna’s words fell with a weight of undeniable truth, Malcolm found his brother's gaze and the two shared a look that could only be described as tense. Had Owen divulged the secrets that everyone else had deemed worthy of keeping? How far his brother had fallen from the man he could have once trusted with anything, to this. Owen appeared defeated, yet confused by the stare. That green gaze accused him with such intention that he was taken aback by the unforeseen bitterness his older brother directed at him. Had Malcolm ever been as disgusted with another being as he looked now?

“No I…” Owen tried to protest, but his words found no breath, that too taken from him without trial, as easily as trust had been.

“You’re supposed to be an innocent!” Edmund accused his sister as his gaze found Malcolm. The duke had opened his mouth to interject, but found it impossible to get a word in as the pair continued their onslaught.

Elyna snapped and the stage was her’s once more. All three of the men had flinched at the pitch of her voice and the emotion her words conveyed. Edmund, the most shaken by her tone, moved aside, clearing a path for his sister, leaving her free to go. Elyna, not so easily moved, finished what she had to say in a manner so composed, that in that moment, Malcolm was forced to admire her strength, rather than pity the display.

She left the room and the distant whistle of a threatening storm sounded beyond the entry doors to the keep as she fled, no doubt towards the tavern, Malcolm thought.

“I’m sorry, your grace—“ Edmund tried to say before he was silenced by the man’s sharp retort.

“Not sorry enough, I imagine. And as for you,” Malcolm addressed his brother. “No matter your imagined loyalty for friends, family always comes first,” Malcolm said, his words implying that Elyna was to be counted as such, family rather than friend.

“I’ll go,” Edmund said, “I apologise for the outburst.”

“Keep your apology!” Malcolm’s reply came swift. “Were my sister alive to face the same, she would never have endured such a disgraceful display in public or private quarters.”

Edmund made a move to go and Malcolm stopped him. “There’s a storm moving in. I suggest and welcome you to stay here tonight. I will go make sure your sister is all right.” He left the room after that and collected his cloak on his way out of the keep.

Edmund raked his fingers through his hair, his frustration evident. “The way she looked at him,” Edmund said to Owen, “the way she looked at your brother… suggests there might be something between them?”

Owen, visibly upset, threw himself down into the chair nearest the fire. Edmund went to his side. “I’ll tell your brother it was not you who told me…”

“What good will that do?” Owen asked. “Be it me or Benjamin… one of his brothers betrayed his trust tonight.”

“It was not his secret to keep,” Edmund said, his hand had found Owen's shoulder in an attempt to console his friend.

“That’s unfair,” Owen said. “To betray one friend for another… would shatter anyone's perception of the word.”

“Speaking of perception…” Edmund said. “Why does my sister believe I whore myself about?”

Owen blushed, caught out yet again. “I may have told her we met in a whorehouse,” he admitted.

Edmund looked visibly stunned into silence. “W-what!” He managed to say.

“Well I couldn’t very well tell her the truth now, could I!”

Edmund covered his brow with a hand. “No, I suppose not. But you could have been a bit more imaginative, Owen…”

“Girls are far more willing to accept perceived bad traits in men than good. Did you want me to tell her we met at a tea party or arguing over the price of a horse?” Owen challenged.

“I suppose you’re right… though I do hope Penelope does not catch wind of such an ugly rumour.”

“She won’t.”

“Still, it bothers me… the way she looked at the duke—it was far too familiar for my liking,” Edmund admitted.

“Malcolm proposed to your sister last year but the king had other plans and the proposal was called off in favour of a match with lady Andaris. When it did not go ahead… Malcolm hoped to renew his proposal to your sister, but your parents were not in favour.”

Edmund looked as if someone or something had just knocked the wind out of him. He sunk into the chair beside Owen’s and opened and closed his mouth, lost for words. “He… they, but why?”

Owen snorted a laugh. “No one told you?”

Edmund shook his head. “I… I feel terrible. What have I done! The duke won’t want her now… wait, my parents weren’t in favour of the match? That doesn’t sound like my mother at all.”

“Perhaps your mother’s stubbornness outweighs her desire to see Elyna suitably matched?”

“I mean… look at this place!” Edmund said. “I know the region is in its infancy but… your brother has already amassed quite the township. As far as I see it, the only station above this would be...”

“The title of queen,” Owen said.

Edmund nodded. “Most of us will be watching our own children get married before we inherit the title of duke.”

“My brother has a way of seeing his plans to fruition.” Owen admitted. “I doubt your outburst put a dent in his plans or desires to see himself marry Elyna.”

“He still wants to?” Edmund looked shocked.

“Though his friends and family feel differently, on account of their protectiveness and her reputation, nothing seems to have dampened his affection for her, not even time itself.”

“Then I must talk to my father… Perhaps if I leave tomorrow I will catch up to him on the road.”

Outside the chill cut through the man’s layers with frightening ease. It was difficult to see ahead through the thick fog that had settled in the valley. The lights of the distant village served as a guide in the dark, but the road was unsteady. Malcolm shuffled forward through the snow, not sure his return would be quite as easy as the trek towards the village. When he arrived at the tavern, his socks felt damp with the cold and fresh snow clung to the black fur of his cloak fashioned from wolf pelts.

The barman looked him up and down, as if for a split second he thought he recognised the man, but no, surely not—why, after all, would the duke venture out after dark? “A drink?” The barkeep asked.

“Not tonight,” Malcolm said, “I’m looking for the innkeeper.”

“My wife,” he said, “Tabitha.”

A woman sitting near the fire got up and hobbled over to the bar. “That would be me, sir, how can I help?”

“I’m after the room number of a guest staying here, Elyna Burhan.”

Tabitha hobbled over to her desk and opened the guest book. “Burhan… Burhan,” she said and licked her finger before turning the page. “Ah, here it is! Second on the right up the stairs, sir.”

“Thank you,” Malcolm said.

He made his way upstairs and went to the right door. Malcolm knocked, not sure Elyna would answer, especially if she thought it was her brother, returned with his tail between his legs. “Elyna? It’s Mal. Can I come in?”

Cups and Glasses

The force of wind was a shock, but not enough to deter Elyna. Head bent against the frozen fog she wrapped her hands around her arms and trampled through the thick snow. There was something in her nature that caused her to flee. It wasn’t something that she was proud of, but under pressure from all sides she felt the need to escape or explode. So she walked across the courtyard towards the Mews. Elyna intended to leave.

Standing at the bottom of the newly constructed mews for Volarean and the occasional dragon, she sighed. Elyna looked down at her clothes, the dress wasn’t really suitable for snow, let alone trying to fly through a storm. She nearly laughed at herself, but no sound escaped.

She slipped back out into the storm and made a weary way back to the tavern. The journey was miserable, but she spent each step plotting how she would hire a horse instead and ride through the night. She could leave Mayce behind and maybe they would all presume she had perished and she would be free to live her life. A fantasy she knew she would never indulge. Still, it was nice to dream.

Shivering she slipped through the tavern. Her hair was covered in snow and pulled out of place by the storm. Her skirts were soaked to the knees and torn by the harsh weather. Her long sleeves had done little to keep out the cold so her fingers were pale as she clenched and unclenched them, trying to return the circulation.

At the top of the stairs she was shocked into stillness by the sight of Malcolm. His hand was raised against her door.

Uneasy, she shifted her weight between her feet before approaching. Even before Edmunds outburst it had always been hard to meet his gaze. Now she found it impossible to look at him. Despite the freezing cold, her cheeks felt as though they burnt with embarrassment.

Elyna glanced sidelong at the man, at a loss of what to say as she unfastened the door with shaking fingers and pushed it open without a word. With Malcolm always being gallant, Elyna stepped inside the room first. It was dimly lit with the fire half-banked and a few candles burning low. She backed away from the door, her gaze fixed on his shoulder before dropping to his feet.

‘It’s a suite,’ she explained unnecessarily. She’d stepped into a small parlour, or living room with a pair of chairs beside the fireplace. ‘We can keep the door open if you’re concerned about …proprietary.’ Her actual bedroom was a separate door that led away from the parlour, along with two other doors. One to a bathroom and a second to the room Edmund had taken.

It wasn’t her own reputation that she sought to protect, but his. Even if Edmund never told another soul about Yvan, the damage was done. Even the best, most loyal servants gossiped. Someone would have heard. One way or another her parents would learn of her disgrace. As would the rest of high society.

‘You must be cold,’ she scrambled for something to say, ‘I can order us some tea or whiskey or…’ Elyna straightened her back and forced herself to look into his face. ‘I don’t want your pity.’ Her voice was stern and almost harsh. ‘I don’t want your regret either Bennet.’ She had made her mistakes and would love them through.

I just want you to love me like you did once…like I thought you did.

But here she was, throwing up walls of defence to keep the man distant before he could explain the reason for his visit. She expected him to turn around and leave. Elyna lifted her chin a little, steeling herself for his inevitable rejection.

Cups and Glasses

Each word a whiplash cast at his feet. Did she hope to deter him, he wondered. Was this the part where he turned and left her to her sorrow and self-pitying venom. Malcolm closed the door, despite her projections and imagined disgrace. He knew her secrets, had witnessed them firsthand and never held them against her. They were all human and very much capable of making mistakes, only he supposed Elyna felt the weight of hers keenly, considering her rank and title.

He crossed the room, tired of living in wonder, hoping she might want him, that she could one day love him. There seemed a world of resistance between them, but the simple truth was this—despite time, family, rumour, power or position in life, Elyna Reyes had consumed his every waking thought since the second he had laid eyes on her at the ball. She wanted his denial, perhaps she even wanted to fight, for him to confirm with sense and melancholy that this was all wrong, that they were all wrong, that what they wanted could never be. The woman’s challenge, however, was met with swift and firm disobedience as two worlds collided in a brief, smart kiss.

“Marry me,” he said, so that there could be no confusion. “Because it is what we both want.” He had not decided for her, but seemed to suggest he knew that the world would likely put the match down to her shame and perceived lack of options. “It’s all I’ve wanted since the minute I met you,” he whispered against her cheek. It had been all desire then, but now, now he knew her? “I want you, Elyna—only you.” Malcolm met the woman’s stare, leaving no room for doubt. “If you run, I will chase you. I’ll do whatever it takes for you…”

Cups and Glasses

He shut the door behind him, and it took every part of her willpower not to retreat a step away from the man. Was this fear? Was she frightened of Malcolm? No, never. She watched, silent as he advanced like a shadow across the carpet. He didn’t run from her challenge as she expected. Perhaps recognising that the most important relationships in her life had been ruled by a sense of abandonment. That was Malcolm though, wasn’t it. Perceptive even if he kept his insights close to his chest.

Taken by surprise she was kissed. Elyna gasped as the brief moment was broken. Left swaying forward she steadied herself with her hands on his chest. Thank the Seven the door was closed.

Marry me, she was left speechless, searching his green eyes for some alternate explanation. For an expression that would make a lie of his words. Her heart felt higher in her chest and squeezed tight as if he gripped it with both hands. A dozen smart retorts came to mind, or vicious responses to push him away. She could refuse him, it would be better for him. She wasn’t what he wanted, not really. She would ruin his reputation.

If you run I will chase you. Tears sprung to her eyes and left her staring in wonder. Run away with me…the words held on her tongue without sound. He had stolen all of her breath and being with the simple explanation of his longing. How wonderful was it to experience the echo of her own heart? Torn between elation and terror, Elyna could only nod her agreement.

He needed more than that, he deserved more than that. She wet dry lips and curled her hands in his cloak, snowflakes melting in her palms. ‘I won’t run from you.’ She promised, ‘You are all I’ve ever wanted,’ she admitted and felt her face flush with embarrassment again. Surely he understood how problematic her admission was, given that she’d been involved with someone else.

Elyna bit her lip as time seemed to pause for them both. Eventually, she smiled, rueful. ‘I’d ask you to run away with me,’ she half whispered. ‘We could marry in Aramane so we don’t have to wait…’ she shook her head then. He had his sons, running away to Aramane wasn’t really an option. ‘Blaze,’ she murmured, ‘please don’t make me wait longer than Blaze to call you my own.’

How would they take him from her this time? She wondered. Even in so magical a moment, danger lurked at the edge of their happiness.