Within the forests

Elyna’s mother has plans for the year

Within the forests

1st Bloom AOK21

Frost had been a strange and frustrating season. Elyna didn’t know a time when she had felt so anxious for time to pass, and yet so uncertain for the future to come. She knew what she wanted, but would it be granted?

She sat in the familiar surrounds of her childhood bedroom. It had become something of a tradition to be at home, in Burhan for her birthday. The first day of spring. Beyond the large window was a view across the canopy of trees. Mist rising in the distance from the treacherous forest floor. The sound of birdsong was loud, cacophonous to those who weren’t used to it. But for Elyna it faded easily into the background whenever she returned from the city and her time as a Skyrider.

What she found more difficult to adjust to, was the small sounds that came from within a noble house. The Cook and a range of servants carrying out the tasks that would get the day started. Her parents would have help washing and dressing for the day. Elyna had bolted her door to prevent that assurance, which she found intrusive after time living independently.

She had dressed herself in a pair of tan breaches, and a shirt of sky blue. Sitting cross-legged on the bed she braided her hair around her crown and knitted it carefully at the back of her neck. It was an elegant style to please her mother, but mostly it kept the long tresses out of her way. She watched the movement of leaves out the window and let out a slow breathe, finding her own calm amongst the storm of worry that she carried.

Malcolm had proposed, she had accepted. But there had been scarcely a handful of days that she and Edmund had remained at Mayce before travelling back to Burhan. Upon telling them her news, she had expected…something other than the reaction there had been. Her brows drew together in memory. Her father, Pavoo had been pleased his blessing given earlier. But Caelin? Elyna sighed, why was her mother so determined to be against the match.

Considered from a purely noble perspective, it was an excellent match. Malcolm was of a higher status, she could be kept in a manner accustomed to a noblewoman. Her nose wrinkled in disgust. The reasons she loved Malcolm had nothing to do with nobility, or lands or wealth. She loved Bennett for his sincerity. She loved his calm authority and the way that he weighed his decisions. It didn’t hurt that she felt an intense attraction for the man, and knew intimately how well their connection could manifest. Elyna wet her lips, feeling heat rise in her chest whenever she considered those memories. There was only a tinge of regret that during her stay in Mayce there had been no opportunity to be close to the man once more. But it was a waiting game, wasn’t it? They would just wait till the Summer. Then they would be married and nothing would stand between them again. Why did her heart tell her, that it couldn’t be that simple?

After her brief trip to Burhan, Elyna had returned to the city to rejoin her team in the skies, patrolling Renmere. It seemed fated that her path not cross Malcolm’s. Whenever he was in the city she was away. Whenever she made it back it was to hear he was in Mayce. She was hopeful that for Bloom they could see on another Andaris, both of them due to be stationed there after all. Once her visit to Burhan was finished, she was eager to catch a boat back to the capital. Buy first, would be whatever discussion her parents had summoned her for.

At the bell for breakfast was rung, Elyna slid her feet into soft shoes and padded her way through the tall house to the dining hall.

It was after they had all enjoyed a reasonable meal, that Pavoo and Caelin requested she join them in the study. Her father smiled at her, which she found encouraging. But his brow was drawn with thought. As she settled into an elegantly upholstered chair, Caelin forced a smile.

It was a room with more windows than it needed that looked out onto the forest. Not high enough to see over the treetops of course, but the view was green beneath the thunderous sky. The fire had been lit, and smoke curled up the stone chimney that rose up from the Great Hall beneath. No matter the weather, this room was always warm and bright.

Elyna had learnt to sew in this room, Caelan having long claimed it as her domain. The Skyrider had learnt to read in here too. Sinking into the cushioned seat, her gaze searched the fireplace. Sure enough in the bottom corner of the woodcarving was a daisy, all the petals brutally chipped off. Ed had dared her to do it and she’d spent a five trials at a woodcarving workshop as a punishment. Her parents had hoped she’d be bored, and learn the value of their hard work and effort. She had loved it, she’d learnt the lesson but she’d been enthralled.

‘We are very grateful that you could return for you’re name day, Elyna.’ It was Pavoo who broke the silence.

Elyna smiled back at her father and sank into one of the highbacked chairs. It’s wooden frame softened by cushioned arms and a seat that she had embroidered herself with trees and the wildflowers native to Burhan. ‘I’m glad to be here, it’s just a shame that Edmund couldn’t make it.’

‘The sea wills what it will,’ Pavoo countered with a nod to the golden compass hung above the fireplace. A nod to their seafaring past.

‘Elyna,’ Caelin leant back in her own chair, long fingers caressing the smooth wooden arm, ‘your betrothal to Malcolm Krome…you are serious in your intentions?’

‘Yes, Mother. Quite serious.’ Elyna met Caelin’s gaze without fear. She had been deadly serious the first fifty times her mother had asked the question.

‘In that case, I thank you for keeping your word and not allowing it to be announced. And requesting the same of the Duke.’

‘If it pleases you, Mother,’ she inclined her head a little. Her heart gave small leaping pumps of excitement. This was it, the moment where Caelin gave her blessing and she and Mal could move forward with their lives.

‘I want you to know,’ Pavoo crossed to stand behind his wife, ‘that Malcolm has my full blessing.’ The man said firmly and Elyna felt her stomach drop. There was a but coming.

‘And I continue to have my reservations.’ Caelin admitted. ‘However, I have agreed a course of action with your father, and now we must discuss it with you.’

Elyna held her tongue rather than race ahead. It was a new habit she was trying to learn. But it was hard not to react.

‘You’ve never had a season, Elyna.’

‘A season?’ She frowned, confused.

‘Balls, dinner parties, societies…all the joy and delight of young flirtation and coquettish behaviour,’ Caelin was smiling, but Elyna felt any joy slipping away from her body.

‘A season?’ She repeated. It would be a living nightmare. She was a woman of open skies, muddy fields and training grounds. Not ballrooms, not dinner parties and idiots with far too much money and far too little care for the world around them.

‘You’re to have a season, darling!’ Caelin clapped her hands together in excitement, ‘our birthday gift to you. Aren’t you excited?’

‘No,’ the word was flat and Caelin didn’t hear it. She was already talking about Elyna’s new wardrobe of clothes that was already packed and ready to go.

‘Stop,’ Elyna stood up, pushing her hand into her hair. ‘What…what has this got to do with Malcolm?’

‘You’ve not been listening, oh come Elyna.’ Caelin turned and pulled a book out from a stack on the side table. Flicked through the pages before offering it to her daughter.

‘We’re sailing to Aramane, you and I,’

‘Just us?’ Elyna dreaded the answer.

‘Yes, well and the maids and footmen and guards of course…and there you will have your season and a little more time besides.’

‘And then what?’ Elyna felt the tremble run through her body.

‘Then, if you have not found another suitor to your liking, I will give my blessing to your marriage to Malcolm. It would have been sufficient time for all the… tarnish of that previous proposal to have worn away. And it will prove his intentions for you.’

Elyna gripped her hands into fists and looked to her father. He watched impassively before he gave a small nod. This was the way things were going to happen.

‘I don’t want anyone else.’

Caelin stood up then, touching a light hand to Elynas face, ‘darling, you’ve never met other men who might be deemed suitable. How can you make such a choice?’

Elyna swallowed the bile that threatened to rise. There had never been any chance of a choice. Only her Mothers desires.

‘How long?’ She asked quietly, ‘how long must I stay in Aramane for?’

‘Till the turning of the season,’ Pavoos voice was gentle, ‘till Harvest fades towards Frost.’

‘And when I return, and I still choose Malcolm?’

‘Then you may pick your date of wedding.’ Pavoo promised.

‘You have my word,’ Caelin nodded.

‘It will be another whole year before we can marry in Blaze,’ try as she might, she couldn’t hide the dismay in her voice.

It was Pavoo who grinned then , ‘nobility marry in any season in Aramane,’ his eyes twinkled, ‘and there’s no reason that your young Duke could not travel to Aramane.’

Caroline shot him a sharp look, but it was too late. The idea was set.

‘No, of course not,’ the older woman agreed. ‘But you will have your season. Blaze at least, before making a final decision as to a husband.’

Elyna knew better than to challenge her mother directly and so inclined her head again. ‘Yet Malcolm could always court me in Aramane, even if we did not wed.’

‘I’d rather you turn your attention to other potential suitors.’ Caelins voice cracked like a whip and Elyna stared at her mother, waiting for the anger to soften. Wondering, just why her Mother was so opposed to Malcolm.

‘As you wish, but I have every faith in Benne- in Malcolm.

‘I hope he returns your devotion, Ely,’ Pavoo folded his arms over his chest. ‘I truly do.’