[Aramane] Roses

70th Day of Bloom AOK-21
Society. People living in an ordered community. Law and the ability to exist in relative peace. Her Mother felt that she disdained society, yet as a Skyrider and a Knight Elyna spent her waking hours in the protection of society. In upholding the laws that structured its existence and ensuring that applied to all, rather than encouraging the abuse of those born less fortunate. She didn’t hate society, she was disgusted by hypocrisy and waste.

The privilege of nobility was granted by its peers and a carefully balanced equilibrium. Caelin had admitted her concern for Elyna’s hypothetical children with Malcolm in a way that had the young woman’s teeth grind. Should something happen to the King, should Marcus be deposed what if the nobility decided to strip Malcolm of his title? Elyna had maintained her silent fury knowing there was little point in arguing. If the nobility started deciding who wasn’t noble enough, then where would that stop? Caelin was not of Renmerian nobility so perhaps she and Edmund would not be noble enough. Then what of other sons and daughters whose parents were from a broader spectrum of stock. It was a knitted woollen scarf and dangerous to start unraveling. Once you started, where did it stop?

Malcolm had allies in Warrick, and surely Burhan if they were married. Ridiculous notions of nobility aside, they were two powerful families that would challenge disruption. Elyna let out the breath she had been holding. She was stood in the center of a large bedroom. Her Mother had relatives in Aramane, cousins who were part of the noble house of Welles. Caelin’s Mother had been born a Cain, part of the lesser nobility until she had eloped to Renmere and joined the Iron Hand. The family in Aramane wasn’t something Elyna had paid much attention to over the years, lists of names, titles and dates of births and deaths. She’d never met any of her Mother’s family either, and it felt very strange to be standing in the house of Lady Beatrice Cain among relatives she had never known.

Beyond the window, the sun was starting to set and painted the sky in hues of pinks and golds. Heavy pale-blue drapes had been pulled back to frame the view of the unfamiliar city. Aramane was different, older than Renmere. It felt like the city was slowly sinking into the landscape that surrounded it. The air was dryer too, with a different coastal breeze whipping off the ocean and across the cityscape. It had it’s own smell, one that she wasn’t used to. Sharp notes of iron ore mixed with heavier salts from the sea. So far, she had seen little of the city, and although she wasn’t looking forward to her first social engagement, it would at least be a chance to see more of the world than the townhouse.

‘Lady Elyna?’ There was a knock on the door before it opened.

Some of the tension eased from her shoulders as saw Emily. Dressed a ladies companion in a red silk dress with long sleeves and a modest neckline. Her short hair had been curled into ringlets, and Elyna found it hard to reconcile the woman to the Skyrider she knew. It was a similar experience when she looked into the mirror herself. Elyna checked her appearance a final time before following Emily out into the hallway and down the grand staircase. The walls were decorated in a pale pictures, embellished with hints of gold. Aramane was wealthy and it’s nobility liked to show off.
At the bottom of the stairs, Caelin waited with pursed lips as she looked her daughter over. Beside Caelin, was an older woman whose pale hair had faded to silver. It was elegantly pulled back into a chignon at the base of her neck. Her skin was perfectly accented by the forest green dress that she wore, a lacy shawl draped over her shoulders as her own icy-blue eyes skimmed over the Skyriders as they descended. Where Caelin frowned, her Aunt Lady Beatice Cain smiled and nodded to the young woman who stood beside her, ‘you see Caelin? Your daughter shall knock our young men speechless,’ Beatrice seemed delighted at the prospect and Elyna, coming to a stop at the small party, found herself flushing with embarrassment.

Elyna dared a nervous glance at the mother, who was clearly unhappy to have been overruled when it came to her own daughter. So far, their arrival in Aramane had been less to Caelin’s taste than she had expected. Lady Cain ruled her household with strict rules and expectations. She had equally exacting standards when it came to the presentation of her family to Society, one that did not align with Caelin. Beatrice had, in swift order, done away with the wigs that Caelin had procured and insisted that the Skyride was far too old for the paler dresses of a debutante.

‘In a field of daisy’s you may as well be a rose,’ Beatrice repeated as the front door opened. The matriarch led the way to the waiting carriage. ‘The richer colors suit you better, my dear.’

‘I’m not sure that I prefer it,’ Elyna admitted as she lifted her skirts enough to step delicately into the carriage. Her dark hair had also been curled and styled in loose waves down her back, pinned gently back from her face. She was dressed, as Beatrice had suggested, in a deep rose red. The bodice was a snug fit, one that her Mother had deliberately selected in a few sizes too small. After the sea-journey and limited rations, Elyna had certainly lost some of her usual muscle tone. Her body had softened and her skin lacked any touch of sunlight. The skirts flared at the hip in waves, decorated with darker embroidery. It swished gently as she walked, but Elyna had been looking forward to hiding at the ball. At keeping to the edges and staying away from attention. Perhaps, it would have been better for Caelin to win the argument between the two Dame’s, to have been able to hide amongst the debutants in their pale dresses.

Caelin and Emily climbed into the carriage and took up their own places, along with a fifth woman and the youngest of all. Wilhelmina was just shy of 19 and had a shock of vibrant red hair and a wide smile. Her green eyes were narrowed with mischief and she settled next to Elyna in her own pale dress of mint.

‘I’m rather glad that you’re going to draw all of the attention,’ Wilhelmina grinned at her distant cousin, ‘it allows me to spend more time at the cards table.’

‘Billy,’ Beatrice warned with a shake of her head, ‘it is not dignified for a lady to lose her fortune through gambling.’

‘Of course, Grandmother,’ Billy curtsied a little in her seat, ‘I’m just looking forward to seeing everyone’s reaction when Elyna arrives,’ she nudged her cousin gently with her elbow, ‘so exciting and exotic to have a Skyrider from Renmere amongst us.’

‘I hope not,’ Elyna managed to breathe. It was the last thing that she wanted.

‘Do you think that such attention will help Elyna make a good match?’ Caelin asked dubiously. It wasn’t what she had expected at all.

‘I’ve already had to field a number of subtle enquiries,’ Beatrice held her hands together with excitement, ‘there are a few Knight’s and Knight Captains who are curious to meet a woman who serves within the Iron Hand.’ The wheels of the carriage started to rumble beneath as they set off through the city and into the gathering dusk.

‘I was rather hoping they wouldn’t find out,’ Caelin admitted with a sigh.

‘Nonsense, the marriage market is overcrowded with lovely Ladies like my Whilemena here. Any unique distinction is an advantage.’

‘A Knight Captain is a man from a Noble family, Elyna,’ Billy explained as Emily and Elyna exchanged glances, ‘but he has joined the National Army, completed his training and has command over a number of men.’

‘And you’re sure they want to meet me?’ It was Elyna’s turn to feel dubious and wish that she could simply vanish to the ether. In her pouch, was the rune stone Malcolm had given her. The small weight had been a comfort so far. A connection to the man at home.

‘A few will want to challenge you, I daresay. Or rather, feel challenged by your abilities,’ Beatrice admitted, ‘but there will be some who are genuinely interested in a wife who might be more sympathetic to their long absences from home.’

Whilst she stayed at home herself, no doubt. Elyna forced a smile however, Beatrice and Billy had been nothing but kind and she welcomed their interference in her Mother’s methods. Even if their determination for her to be quickly married was unsettling.

‘Once they see you, I’m sure there will be many more suitors who are less than subtle,’ Beatrice smiled as she patted Elyna’s hands gently, ‘truly Caelin, you had us very worried about finding your daughter a husband.’

‘We we expecting a-’

‘Someone with far less social graces that the beauty before us,’ Beatrice interrupted her Grandaughter.

‘We’re very grateful that you welcomed us to your home,’ Caelin replied diplomatically. ‘Oh look, are we here?’ She peered out of the window as the carriage came to a stop.

They had arrived at the Palace. The only place that the first Ball of the year could possibly take place. Night had fallen during their journey, but the marble columns were lit with enormous twists of fire wrapped around the stone arches themselves.

Elyna found herself turning, trying to look everywhere at once as she stepped down from the carriage. Caelin fussed over her skirts whilst Emily took her hand. The two friends exchanged an excited smile as they followed Beatrice and Billy up the steps to the main doors. Candles littered the pathway, the sound of laughter and music echoed from the ballrooms beyond. It was the largest, grandest building that Elyna had ever seen and she gripped Emily’s hands. How could she ever thank Malcolm enough, for sending her friend to her? Emily was a port in a storm.

Her senses were overwhelmed with the scent of perfume and flowers as they reached the main doors to the Palace. It had been a warm day, so the large wooden divides were held open. Guests were led forward to a balcony where they were announced. The chatter from the ballroom below pausing as guests turned to clap and welcome new arrivals. At their entrance, Beatrice and Whilemena both received warm applause. As Caelin made her descent, a quiet started to fall over the room. There had been rumors of a noblewoman coming to Aramane to find a husband. Gossip was quick to spread through the nobility and so Beatrice had cultivated an air of enticing mystery around the shy Burhan girl.

The announcer beckoned her forward to the balcony and Elyna steadied herself.

‘Be bold, my Lady,’ the wiry man encouraged with a wink, ‘this could be your season. You look truly magnificent.’

Elyna blinked at the man before a wry smile pulled at her features, ‘you say that to all the Ladies,’ she teased beneath her breath.

‘I do not,’ he assured her before straightening. ‘Lady Elyna Burhan!’ He announced and the expectant room fell quiet, more than a few eyes turning to take in the mysterious skyrider.

Think of Mal, Elyna repeated in her mind. Think of how proud I could be making him. She gathered her skirts delicately and made her way down the stairs, head held high as she forced herself to breathe. Reaching the bottom, she was swept up by Billy who was crowing over the entrance, ‘divine!’ Billy laughed as Emily caught them up. ‘You’ll be married by the end of the week.’

Elyna glanced across at Emily who grimaced on her behalf. That wasn’t the plan.