[Aramane] Unexpected

65th Day of Bloom - AOK 21
Even with long hours camping under the stars, in cold weather, in rain, after a season of Iron Hand rations, Elyna didn’t know a time when she had been so tired. As though she could sleep for a week. The journey across the sea had been calm enough, but it had been exhausting. Her mother’s determination that she should eat very little, hadn’t helped her sense of energy and had had the desired effect. She felt as though her muscles had been stripped from her bones and left her feeling weak. Too tired to protest the many lectures, the hours of needlework and confinement below the decks. Caelin had been appalled by her daughter's tanned features and sought to remedy the effect of the sun, by denying it. So Elyna emerged, feeling like a wraith.

One of the deck hands steadied her as she stepped down off the boat and looked around. She didn’t recognise the man, having not interacted with anyone other than her Mother since setting foot on board the boat. The docks were bustling, alive and busy and far too noisy after near fifty days confined to a cabin with only her Mother for company. Retreated into herself, the young woman was grateful when they were led to a closed carriage and the door closed behind. Dimly, she remembered her excitement to see another country. As though that feeling had been part of a dream, detached from who she was now. Beyond the veiled carriage door, a new city beckoned. She peered at it, surrounded by her Mother’s maids packed into the small space with the Baroness.

It was a short journey to a tall townhouse in the Parade. One step down from the Palace itself, Caelin had explained how all the nobility kept houses here. The door was painted a deep navy blue, pretty white flowers decorated every window box and gave off a sweet smell. Finding her feet on the pavement, Elyna wondered how many rooms could be found within, the house was bigger certainly than the Burhan residence in Renmere’s capital. Though, the family of Cain had been around longer than Renmere had existed.

It was a cool, misty morning that promised better weather to come. Caelin bustled through the opened door. Preening as the three maids were directed to servants quarters in the attics. They stood in a vast entrance hall, with a double staircase that rose towards what Elyna could only imagine were dozens of bedrooms and studies. Everything was perfectly clean, dust free and scented with beeswax. The tiles gleamed underfoot.

‘Lady Beatrice is my Aunt,’ Caelin explained for the one hundredth time, ‘I’ve not seen her since I was a tiny girl. You are fortunate that we have kept our correspondence. Beatrice will be hosting us, here in Aramane for the start of the season.’

Elyna couldn’t ignore the note of warning in her Mother’s voice and simply nodded.

The door to an antechamber opened and the footman bowed towards them. Cealin checked her appearance in the marbled tiles one last time before swaying through.

‘Aunt Beatrice, Lady Cain,’ Caelin dipped into a curtsey that Elyna copied, maintaining distance of just a few feet.

‘Caelin! How wonderful that you’ve arrived safely!’ Beatrice was on her feet, a woman who must have been in her sixties at least. Her pale hair had long turned silver and was neatly tied back from her face. Her blue eyes were icy, a trait she shared with Caelin, but there was a warmth to her narrow face as she greeted her niece and turned towards Elyna.

‘My goodness, this must be Elyna? Come girl, let me look at you.’

Elyna stumbled on her steps, her stomach turning in knots. She prayed to the Seven that she wasn’t going to faint as she approached Beatrice, finding the matriarch to be several heads taller than she was. But that wasn’t a surprise.

The blonde wig that she wore, wobbled atop her head. Threatening to fall off if she failed to keep herself perfectly balanced. Beatrice’s fingers were cool, soft and gently as they touched her face, tilting her head this way and that to study the angles.

‘My goodness,’ Beatrice shook her head as she smiled, ‘you look a lot like my Aunt, your Grandmother. Now do take off that ridiculous wig darling, it does your colouring no favours.’

Elyna glanced at Caelin who gave a small nod. Relieved to have her mother’s blessing, she grasped the centre and pulled it from her head. Caelin sat down as directed and Elyna, casting about for somewhere to put the hair, sank down beside her mother.

‘Oh yes,’ Beatrice clapped her hands together. ‘You could almost be the image of her now. Except your eyes.’

‘Mother had blue eyes,’ Caelin spoke quietly, ‘just like mine.’

‘You must have your fathers gaze, Elyna.’

‘I do,’ feeling a little confused Elyna looked between the two, ‘I always thought I looked most like him.’

‘Oh not at all, you’re a Cain or rather a Welles through and through.’

Elyna blinked and found herself staring at her Mother. Caelin had never really discussed her family in Aramane.

[Aramane] Unexpected

‘Now, Caelin I understand that you bought some maids with you?’

‘Yes my Lady, three that have been in my service for some time.’

‘Very good, they will be quite comfortable with the rest of our staff, I do however have a surprise for your young Elyna.’

Elyna’s attention had drifted, her stomach contracting with hunger. But it was caught as Beatrice rang a small silver bell and the door opened.

Never, in all of her imagination could she have expected Emily to walk through the door. Dressed in Aramanian fashion the Skyrider smiled at her friend, curtseying to the Ladies.

‘I understand Miss Le’Sark had been part of your household?’

Caelin’s surprise was quick to turn sour, ‘what on Noar are you doing here Emily?’

‘Emily!’ Elyna was on her feet, crossing the room to embrace her friend. Her mother was right, what was she doing here? The last Elyna had known was her friend being posted in Endor for the best part of Frost.

Emily clasped her hands with a smile, turning to Lady Cain. ‘I heard that this might be where you were travelling Elyna, and saught to catch you up. I had no idea I might arrive here before you,’ she laughed softly and squeezed Elyna’s hand.

Elyna shook her head, amazed ‘well I’m very glad that you’re here.’ She felt dizzy with the shock of relief.

‘Well, that’s settled then,’ Beatrice beckoned them all to sit once more. ‘Emily will stay on with us as your Lady’s Maid.’

‘Oh, but I’ve already brought sufficient staff from home,’ Caelin protested as she swept her skirts out and sat down.

‘Nonsense,’ Beatrice waved away the words, ‘they’re much too old to be Elyna’s companions, and Miss Le’Sark is a fully trained and equitted Maid?’

‘Emily has been my Maid for many years,’ Elyna encouraged, ‘and with so many new people to meet in Aramane, it would be nice to have someone familiar close to hand.’

Emily settled down beside her with a smile. One that Caelin returned with a grimace.

‘Now,’ Beatrice offered a plate of cakes to Elyna, ‘you look half-starved, we need you at your best for the opening ball.’

- - - -

A letter for Malcom arrives, sealed with blue wax and indented with the shape of a feather.

My dear Malcom,

I hope that my letter finds you in good health and spirits. I have arrived safely in Aramane, with a journey across the Sea which was largely uneventful. We are staying with my Mothers Aunt, Lady Beatrice Cain in the city of Aramane. I never realised how extensive my Mothers’ connection to the country was, and find myself intrigued with researching my family history. Something, I admit, I have never much considered beyond my origins in Burhan.

Imagine my delight however, in a place of so many new connections to find an old friend. I understand from Emily that I have yourself to thank for her timely arrival. My thanks for such a generous gift, are endless. I feel more confident that at the least I will be able to write to you, and have those notes sent without interference.

The opening ball of the Season is in a night or so. I anticipate it with trepidation and only wish you could accompany me. Although that would surely undo my Mother’s designs. With grace, we are 60 days closer to my return home.

I think of our parting with fondness. Yet still carry my concerns. In the event that I do not return, though save natural disaster I cannot imagine anything that would stop me, I bid that you marry someone who made you laugh. Not that you should be keen to marry, but that I worry for you, and for your loneliness. I wish fervently that I could cross the water with my words. That I could accompany your thoughts in person.

Each day brings me closer to home, and that is what I wait for.

Ever yours,

Elyna

[Aramane] Unexpected

Malcolm had received the woman’s letter and regarded it with mixed feelings. They had already spoken about the idea of her not returning and the duke thought he had made himself clear in his intentions or lack of. He had no desire to marry, nor need, not until he had met her. Without her, life would go on, but perhaps not as she would like it. He mulled over a response for days, then chose not to give one, instead summoned back to Mayce on rumour of trouble brewing in the mountains.

17 Blaze AOK21

It was almost a season past before a letter arrived, picked up from town and carried to Elyna’s hands by her most trusted and dearest friend, Emily. The skyrider stood before Elyna with tears in her eyes, tempted, but not having dared to open the letter on her friend's behalf. “There was news on the bulletin posted in town,” Emily said, “no details as of yet, but the article read that a duke was wounded and later died early this season in the village of Mayce…” Emily looked at the letter pressed into her friend’s hands and stood with her heart in her throat. Kind words leapt to her tongue, only to die there as the skyrider remained silent. If dismissed, she would nod and take her leave, ready and waiting on the other side of the door should her friend need her after a moment in private.

The letter, like all the rest she had ever received from the duke, was folded and bound in black wax and pressed with the symbol of the wolf. It’s contents read:

Dearest Elyna,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you on the twelfth day of Blaze, only days after a loss so great, none can bear it. News of the duke’s death has already been sent to every corner of the realm and, no doubt, will make your acquaintance soon in Aramane.

I think only of our last meeting and scorn myself for the manner in which I treated you and how I left things. I think also of the two orphans left to navigate this cruel world alone. My heart is broken for them.

My desire to be anywhere but home, for the grief is too much, may yet carry me to your shore, where I intend to visit and stay with my cousins in Rhode. If perchance we were to meet, let all that came before be behind us, of this I beg thee. I would like to make amends. Please send word, for I will be there before the season is through, but will not darken your door without it.

The funeral is to be held in the capital on the twenty-first day of Blaze, after which time I will make my way to Aramane by ship.

Ever yours, ever more,

Owen Rowan Bennett

[Aramane] Unexpected

She hadn’t moved since Emily walked through the door, dark eyes scanning the page before her with eager anticipation. Emily was dismissed without a word.

- - -

Owen received a short response before his departure from Renmere.

I would like to see you. Elyna